Thursday, July 1, 2010

Whirlwind

We started projects in a rural village outside of town. Phii Tee, which turns out to be the correct way to spell his name, wanted us to build adobe stoves. We have also been helping to build a free clinic for the tribal people to make healthcare more attainable. It turns out that I'm the only person to ever build a stove before because of my experience in Fiji so the group turned to me for direction. Man did I ever feel inadequate. I was made a co-lead on the project and the pressure was on. Luckily I think I managed to pull through without letting anyone down.

The executive director of HELP, Mike, came to Thailand this week. Everyone made sure to be on their best behavior and turns out he is very chill. We went to Chiang Mai for the weekend to show him around (FYI, we get weekends off, except for the occasional saturday that we need to work, but I promise we are still working very hard and the weekends are hardly a break from working). It was a ton of fun, we got Thai massages for $5, went rafting in the dirtiest river you could ever imagine, and Mike ended the day by buying us all dinner. It was definitely an adventure filled with many bonding moments.

I', still sick and trying to recover, but it's not nearly as bad as it was. I have focused my efforts on becoming more organized with all the different projects that are going on. Right now, we are still getting set up so it's been chaotic and I'm trying to fix that. Mike and I had some good conversations about how to go about doing that and I'll keep you updated.

Last night, the girls found out that I love to dance and they pressured me into dancing in front of the group. It turned into a crazy sort of dance contest where we were given topics to dance out. It started raining and got super silly, but I'm glad that we are all getting along so well.

I have to go but I love you all and I will talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment