Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's Raining, It's Pouring

I never really understood the expression "it's raining cats and dogs" until I came to Thailand. We jut entered into the rainy season and we find ourselves in the most inconvenient places when the weather suddenly changes and the heavens open up soak us down to the bone. It's been fun though so I can't complain. It's actually kind of funny because people here will still ride their mo-peds in the rain, the only difference is that they carry an umbrella in one hand.

I've started to pick up the language which has help make me a better teacher in the process. That's pretty much what I've been doing the last two weeks--teach English nonstop. Everyday we try to come up with a new way to teach to keep it interesting and enjoyable for the kids. The kids just tend to laugh at us when we speack Thai to them and I've realized that when I respond with the English slang "yea", in Thai it means something bad, so i've been trying really hard not to say that.

On Monday and Wednesday we worked on square-foot gardening at DEPDC. This nest week we will be teaching the agriculture students a lesson on compost which should be fun because we are going to start our own compost pile at the volunteer house to show them what compost begins to look like and what to add to it and what not to. Mr T, a local Thai, was telling me about a really awesome project that has been started in Thailand and I think it goes right along with our square-foot gardening. It's called FAITH which stands for food always in the house. Maybe we can get involved with it.

Well I'm off to teach another English lesson...talk to you soon...

Oh, I've also found out that I'm not a very good speller without spell check so I apologise for any errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment